We first tried this recipe when we were invited by American friends to a Thanksgiving potluck back home in Newcastle. The slight sweetness of the squash, combined with the deep, smoked flavour of our bacon really make this a punchy dish!
This recipe makes 4 side portions
- 1 butternut squash, cut into half-inch cubes
- 5 rashers of Geordie’s Smoked bacon, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Thumbnail piece of ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne
- Pinch of paprika
- Pinch of allspice
- Pinch of cardamom
- Pinch of sugar
- Heat a large frying pan on medium-high and melt the butter
- Sauté the butternut squash for 5 minutes, until tender and golden brown
- Add the bacon and onion pieces and cook for a further 5 minutes until cooked
- Add garlic, ginger, all spices and sugar and fry for a few minutes until the spices are fragrant.
- Serve hot, as a side dish or a main, and ENJOY!