Our take on the famous breakfast muffin sold by a certain fast food chain in the UK. German Aldi sells so-called Goldähren Toastbrötchen, which we have found to be very similar to British breakfast muffins. Of course, you can use any other type of breakfast roll, or even make your own.
The secret in this recipe is that the roll gets toasted in the bacon fat directly in the pan. This brings all the delicious bacon flavour directly into the roll!
- 3-4 Geordie’s Great British Bacon rashers (about 60 g)
- 1 Goldähren Toastbrötchen (or any other type of roll), sliced in half
- 1 good quality egg
- About a tablespoon of oil/lard/clarified butter to fry in
- Ketchup/Brown Sauce/Mayonnaise to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Get a large frying nice and hot and drop in your fat.
- When the fat is starting to smoke just a little bit, place in your bacon rashers. They should instantly start to sizzle.
- Fry bacon for a few minutes until cooked to your likeness.
- Put cooked bacon on some kitchen towel to remove excess fat.
- Reduce heat to medium, pull sliced Toastbrötchen halves through the fat and then gently toast in the pan for 3-4 minutes.
- Once toasted, remove and place bacon on the bottom half.
- In the remaining fat, fry the egg in whichever way you love it! Personally, we love a crispy bottom and runny yolk, but feel free to cook all the way through, flip over, or even make a little omelette!
- Assemble your muffin and season with a little bit of salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally, add some ketchup, brown sauce or other condiment if you would like, and ENJOY!
Top tip: if you want to feel a little fancy, cook your egg in a greased crumpet ring the same size as your roll. That way it’ll be the perfect fit for your muffin!